Mission: Sustainable Development
The mission of the Center is to build interaction designs and analytics that are of the people, by the people, for the people, thereby contributing to the sustainable development in the merging of both online and offline worlds.
We identify key analytic measurements and interaction interfaces and study the ways in which they can be improved in such a way that both the processes and outcomes are people-centered and user-centered.
Methods: Interdisciplinary Integration
Our research methods integrate methods from information, communications, humanities and social sciences disciplines, with the aim to answer practical and policy questions by conducting empirical research on both the real and online worlds.
Beliefs: Key data and interactions shaping everyday life
We believe that both data and interfaces have been shaping different aspects of everyday life, and thus we identify the important issues of everyday life and then study the relevant data, analytics and interfaces for positive social change.
Mode: Knowledge Broker
Our mode of operations combine both scientific methods and everyday life, working as knowledge brokers between producers and users of knowledge, between the Internet and societies.
Vision: merging of top-level policies and everyday life
Strategy: Innovations with consciousness
Our research strategy is to foster innovations in empirical research with consciousness, seeking for positive social changes while paying attention to their negative consequences.
Base: Nanfang College of Sun Yat-Sen University
Our research base is located at the School of Literature and Media, Nanfang College of Sun Yat-Sen University, China. Its location is in Conghua, at the Pearl River Delta, with green hills and clear water.
Team members believe in the people-centered empirical study can facilitate and foster the sustainable development of the merging of both offline and online worlds.
Each member contributed her unique combination of scientific methods, professional networks, and life experiences.
Mei-Xiang Hu (胡美香)
Professor of Practice: Prof. Mei-Xiang Hu
Innovating new media learning and practicing experience for sustainable training programs
- Research skills: participant observation; VR and AR product analysis; interaction desgin methods
- Research projects: digital heritage; networked practices of intangible cultural heritag
- Academic expertise: new media technologies; VR/AR development; experiential learning; new media arts curriculum curation
Wang, Zijia (王子佳)
Research Associate, Big Data Training Specialist: Wang, Zijia
Drive actions and conversations in support of the data revolution and data-driven innovation platforms for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda.
- Research skills: Online survey design; digital story-telling; data visualization; mixed-method research etc.
- Research projects: People-Centered Big Data for the Internet of People; API ecosystem governance in China
- Academic expertise: environmental education; urban planning; urban informatics, etc.
Wu Xue (吴雪)
Research Lab Manager: Wu Xue
Innovate people-centered product and interface designs to promote sustainable development.
- Research skills: Internet product design; interface design; usability tests; new media marketing; data visualization, etc.
- Research projects: sustainable development of smart health
- Academic expertise: open collaboration; interface research; user research, etc.
Han-Teng Liao (廖汉腾)
Director of New Media Research Center: Dr. Han-Teng Liao
Monitoring and facilitating data and knowledge exchange through improving the measurement, interface and everyday life of using new media and the Internet
- Research skills: Internet research and methods; integration of quantitative and qualitative research methods; digital methods; social network analysis; web mining and analysis; API use and analysis; data visualization, etc
- Research projects: Knowledge-Broker-Driven Product and Policy Designs; Internationalization and Localization Development and Designs
- Academic expertise: Webometrics; open collaboration; internationalization and localization (i18n/L10n), etc.